Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Do you believe in ANGELS?...

We do and we met one today!! His name is Van Goodman and he works at Ace Hardware and today he was Philip's angel sent from God. Today was the scariest and worst day of my life as a mommy and I never want to experience another one like it. Philip had a febrile seizure today at 5:00 as we were leaving the Harris Teeter after picking out his unbelievable "Thomas the Train" birthday cake since he turns two on Tuesday, April 27. He was literally dancing and singing "b-day cake, b-day cake, b-day cake" in the grocery store and when I gave him a huge hug, I noticed how unbelievably hot he felt. I said Philip, you feel like you have a fever, lets get home and take your temp and get some medicine. But just after the words came out of my mouth and we exited the store, my baby went into a dazing stare into the sky and I said, "Philip, Philip" and I got no response. Seconds later, his eyes rolled back in his head and he went limp in the cart. I immediately picked him up, started hitting on his back b/c I wasnt sure if he was choking on the pretzel he had been eating and started screaming "HELP, my baby isnt breathing, HELP please!!" And as I screamed my baby just laid in my arms limp, unconcious, and not responding! Then out of nowhere, our angel appeared. He immediately grabbed Philip and started doing CPR. He told me he works at Ace but was previously a child medic. Can you believe it, what are the chances?! He got to us within 30 seconds of me screaming but what felt like eternity in mommy time. Then he found a pulse on Philip immediately and laid him on the sidewalk on his side and we called 911. When I didnt know the address of the shopping center at Park road to tell 911, yep, you guessed it, our angel knew it! Then the paramedics came and we rushed him to Presbyterian in an ambulance and it was determined there that he had a 103 fever and had experienced an atypical febrile seizure b/c he never shook but just had a staring episode seizure followed by 10 minutes of unconciousness. They kept us over night and ran multiple tests which all came back totally normal. We learned that these febrile seizures are very common (happen in 1 out of every 25 kids before they turn the age of 6), they suffer no long term issues from the seizures, they are not linked in anyway to epilepsy or any sort of seizure condition, and there is no way to prevent them as they are caused from a quick spike in body temperature. However, kids who experience one are more prone to experience more before they turn six and then they grow out of it. Praise God... My baby was completely perfect and fine... however, I wasnt. I sat up by my baby's bed that entire night and barely blinked as I watched him sleep just to make sure he was breathing every breath. I will never be the same after that tragic afternoon and I have only gotten through each day since on my knees praising our almighty Lord who loves us and takes care of us in ways we cant even imagine. That day while I was lying on the sidewalk holding my baby unconcious and praying to God that he take me instead of my precious child, I felt the presence of the Lord and through his angel, he was right there lying with us on that cold, barren and hard sidewalk. I can't thank you all enough for the prayers, love and support! It is so hard on days like these to live so far away from family but we are so blessed with amazing friends here who love us and who are truly our family in Charlotte. We can't thank the Harrells enough as they dropped everything the minute I called and came immediately and got Parker from the hospital so we didnt have to take him inside and they took him home with them to play with their new little angel Holden for the night. Kevin and Holly, we love yall so much and cant express in words our indescribable gratitude for what yall did for us. I know that Parker, at just 8 weeks old, and Holden, at only 6 weeks old, had a big time at their first sleepover but I know it couldn't have been easy on yall as parents with 2 babies all night long! Yall are our family here and we couldnt be more blessed to have yall in our lives! Now that we are home and I look back on that terrifying day, I know one thing... My Lord is great, he is my way and he is almighty! He has angels and he sends them to us when we need them most. And most of all He was with me and Philip when we were lying on that sidewalk that day! I cant even imagine what it feels like to lose a child, but I know that I never want to ever feel that close to losing mine again. I love you Lord and I praise you in this storm!


Family, Thomas the train and Friends got us all through this scary time
Parker and Holden , B.F.F's, at their first sleepover.... I am pretty sure they are talking here about picking up chicks... oh how they just grow up too fast!!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Steph, I am so glad everything ended up okay. I know how frightening that was, we had the same experience (not quite as bad as yours) when Ansley had a febrile (s/p?) siezure a couple of years ago.... and you are right, there are definitely angels out there :)

Hillary Kouba said...

Wow! I can't even imagine how scared I would be! I do know of at least 3 friend who's children have all had the same thing and as far as I know haven't had any more seizures like it. I'm so glad all the tests came back normal for Philip. Hopefully you can start to get a little more rest now!